After the lace was cut, there was nothing to do but to start sewing. I started with the skirt, since the bodice would have to be quite fitted and I figured I'd start with something that could handle the odd mistake as I got my "lace fingers" trained up.
I started with the centre front skirt, and sewed one of the side front skirts on. The process was long, certainly, but actually quite fun as each bit of the seam is like a puzzle: how can I stitch these two pieces together to make a seamless-looking result?
I laid one piece of lace on top of the other, matching the basting lines for the seam. Then I stitched the two pieces of lace together along the embroidered lace. The top bits of the skirt were match to each other (as much as possible) so they were straightforward, but as the seam continued down, it required more "playing" with the patterns to make a seamless look.
Here's how the seam looks before it's been sewn:
And after:
People who have seen the lace have said how seamless it looks; some even wondered if it was all one piece. This is exactly the look I was hoping for, so it's gratifying to know that it's working. The only down side is that I think it takes about 8 hours to sew each seam, which means that there's quite a lot of work involved. However, it's going to look beautiful and professional, and I'm very happy to make such a special item for Karine and Brad's special day.

No comments:
Post a Comment