Friday, August 6, 2010

Always Expect the Unexpected

Everything takes longer than I think it will on this dress. Like today - I tried to insert the zipper. Which I thought would only take a little bit of time, because really - it's a zipper! Even the name is fast! Zip, zip! Quickety-boo, as we say around our place, right?


Not so much. First there was the basting of the appropriate layers together. Then removing beads from where the zip will be sewn. (Beads and sewing machine needles do not agree.) Next: making sure the zip was appropriately placed. Then basting the zip on to the dress, making sure that seams and the top of the dress match up. (Nothing makes me crazier than a zipper inserted where the waist seams don't match up. Argh.) Then: sewing the zipper in place with the sewing machine, basting the lining in to place over the zipper tape, and sewing a small strip of fabric over the bodice portion of the zipper tape so it's not super-annoying or scratchy.

All of which would have gone just fine, except that the zipper broke when I was sewing it in by machine. *sigh* So I changed plans and worked on the extra skirt lining instead.

Hours: 4.5
Tasks: prepped for zipper insertion; cut out extra skirt lining, sewed and hemmed it, and attached it to the corset
Entertainment: CBC Radio One

No comments:

Post a Comment